The LNER came into existence on 1st January 1923 as an amalgamation of the railways which served the eastern side of Britain. In Scotland, that included the North British Railway (with lines from Edinburgh to Berwick, Carlisle, Glasgow, Mallaig, Dundee and Aberdeen) and the Great North of Scotland Railway (with lines from Aberdeen throughout Buchan and connections at Keith and Elgin for Inverness).
The LNER quickly introduced its own carriage designs, based on those of England's former Great Northern Railway. These soon started to appear in Scotland.
The Great Northern Railway design is credited to their Carriage & Wagon Superintendent Nigel Gresley, who was appointed to that position in 1905. Design details, such as buckeye couplings and Pullman type gangways, were taken directly from north American practice, and followed from a visit which British railway officials made to the United States in 1899. The basic design, built in many variant forms, remained in use until the 1970s.
|10021||Gresley Third Class Corridor Compartment coach||1924|
|62515||Gresley Brake Second Corridor coach||1924|
|644||Gresley Buffet Car||1937|
|4271||Gresley Full Brake Pigeon Van||1940|
|13803||Thompson Third Class Tourist Open coach||1947|
|80417||BR (LNER Thompson design) Brake Composite coach||1951|
|Back to Coaches Home Page|